Tuesday, November 1, 2016

My Obsession and Plans For a Cash Crop

I have a confession to make.  Of late I have begun to obsess over mint plants, all kinds of mint plants. At this stage I have around 8 varieties and am still seeking another 6 to increase the types of tea leaves I can dry and package for sale. I don't plant mint(s) in the ground due to their invasive nature.  Instead I plant them into wicking tubs, made from food grade plastic drums.  They do very well in them and I am so impressed with the growth rates and the ability to harvest, dry quite good quantities at a time.  My only issue now is to design the labels for the packaging.  Not sure if I should go for stickers or swing tags, but that is another issue altogether and one that will solve itself.
This is the apple mint in one of the wicking drums.
This is the chocolate mint in another wicking drum.
Each of these mints are used in  two ways.  They can both be infused in hot milk to make a tasty custard, but also steeped in boiling water, cooled, strained and placed in a drink dispenser with ice for a cool refreshing drink on hot days.  Mints are quite an under rated plant in my view.  
This is a slice of feijoa loaf with apple mint infused custard drizzled over it.
I also have the first hedgerow of chamomile planted, which is another future cash crop, dried for tea.  Very excited to be going into this field as it will help me to boost funds for future projects around the property.  Down the track I also plan to grow crocus (saffron) and dry it as a cash crop.  I have the room and it seems like a good way of utilizing empty spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment